Wednesday, April 18, 2012

-Week 39-

In baby countdown news, my due date is just 5 short days away.  My Mom is coming into town tonight, so I'm relieved that it looks like I'll make it until she gets here.  It will be a huge help to have her here for labor and for the first two weeks of baby's life.  In honor of these last few days of pregnancy, I've been thinking about all the things I'll miss and those I really won't. 



10 Things I Won't Miss About Being Pregnant:

{Actually, there are more than 10, but let's not get carried away.}

1.  Food and beverage restrictions.  I'm seriously looking forward to rejoining the world of adult beverages.  I've also been thinking about eating a turkey sandwich for like six months.  I think this will be my first meal post-baby: a giant turkey sandwich with fresh mozzarella and a glass of prosecco.  I hope the birth center takes special orders.

2.  Sleeping in uncomfortable positions, surrounded by a minimum of like seven pillows to support my back and baby bump.  Every night before settling in for bed, I have to create an elaborate pillow nest.  It's exhausting.  Next time, I'm going to invest in one of these and it will be my best friend.

3.  I thought I had nothing to wear before I got pregnant.  Hah.  I have an entire closet filled with wonderful tiny outfits, all lined up in an unused row.  They're mocking me.  Every morning I think, "Hmm, maybe I could squeeze into that if I just..."  Nope.  I look forward to not having to steal my husband's clothes when he's not looking.

4.  Bending down to shave, apply lotion, or put on pants and shoes feels like an olympic sport.  By the time I get showered and dressed I'm ready for a mid-morning nap.  It will be nice to be able to clip my toenails without panting.

5.   Having a built-in crumb and stain catcher.  I can't eat anything without it falling from my mouth and landing on my belly.  It seriously has its own gravitational pull. 

6.  Being out of breath all the time.  This might have something to do with our high elevation, but I always feel like I can't breathe.  Especially if I try to sit in a reclined position or walk up a (short) flight of stairs.  The baby likes to sit right on my diaphragm, taking mamma's breath away (and not in a good way).

7.  Tiny bladder.

8.  Aches and pains.  See also: sore hips, aching legs and swollen feet.  I feel like an eighty-year old man when I get out of bed in the morning.  Chris laughs at me because I hobble around with my hand on my back--if I had a cane, I would look like Mr. Magoo.

9.  Weight gain.  I mean, really, what is up with gaining multiple pounds in just a few short days?  Oh, maybe it's all that ice cream I feel completely justified in eating.  I am also looking forward to not having to keep a ration of food by my bed at all times.  It makes me feel like a squirrel.

10.  Worrying.  All the time.  About everything.  I know this probably will still be true after the baby comes, but at least I'll have something tangible to work with.  While he's in there, it's all just guesswork.
 
10 Things I Will Miss About Being Pregnant:

1.  Feeling the baby move.  Even if those karate chops hurt sometimes, it's seriously amazing and wonderfully reassuring to know he's in there.  When I'm talking to someone and he starts dancing around, I feel like we're sharing a secret language.

2.  Dreaming and talking about what the baby will look like and what kind of future he will have.  I'm more than ready to meet him now, but it has been a wonderful bonding experience for me and Chris to think about all the promise and possibility that our baby will bring into the world.  We've really enjoyed making predictions about his personality and now we're so excited to see if our visions will match up with baby's reality.

3.  Chris talking to my belly.  Sometimes he reads to us, too.  It's especially fun when the baby moves in response to his daddy's voice or kisses.

4.  Planning the nursery.  This has actually been a little overwhelming because of the sheer number of products out there, but it has also been a lot fun.  It gave me an excuse to be crafty again.  I love to sit in there and think about how different it will feel once the baby is a permanent occupant of his crib and changing table.

5.  Foot and leg massages.  How can you say no to a pregnant lady?  My husband has taken such good care of me for the last 39 weeks. 

6.   Watching my belly grow.  Pregnancy really seems like a miracle when I think about how I can see and feel a little one growing bigger inside of me every day.

7.  Having a prescription for naps.  Any time of day.  Guilt-free.

8.  Baby hiccups.  It is so cute when the baby gets them, especially after I eat too many pancakes.  

9.  Wherever I go, baby goes.  This might seem silly, but there is a certain intimacy in knowing that he's always along for the ride.

10.  The outpouring of support from family and friends.  We have felt so loved and really appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughtful gifts!  We can't wait for everyone to meet our new addition.     

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lady! I just found your blog, thanks to Betsy, and I am quite moved and brought back to memory lane. I hope that if there's a next time, you go ahead and have that turkey-mozz-prosecco sandwich! ;) Meanwhile, enjoy 1. not being pregnant and 2.snuggling a sweet baby!!!

    ReplyDelete