Wednesday, December 14, 2016

48/52

* A portrait of my children, once a week, every week, in 2016*

Dear Matteo and Lilah: With the heartbreaking results of this election, I fear that our generation has left you a terrible legacy.  You are inheriting a moral debt of overwhelming proportions.  Your Papa and I work very hard everyday to teach you the values of love, of inclusion, of respect and of kindness.  We will always try to model the importance of standing up against injustice, of being kind in the face of hate, of loving yourselves for the unique perspective and beauty that you alone can offer this world.  I hope you will never doubt the potential for greatness that exists in humanity; that you will never let those who would threaten your voice shout louder than your heart can sing.  We have just elected a president who demonstrates values of greed, exclusion, and disrespect for the earth and for the range of human diversity.  I know that your generation will work harder than ever to let your beauty shine.  This gives me hope in a moment where it would otherwise be difficult to find any.  I believe in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment