Wednesday, November 5, 2014

43/52

*A portrait of my child, once a week, every week, in 2014.*

Matteo: You are taking your new role as custodian of the candy very seriously.  After trick-or-treating, you began the meticulous process of moving your candy from container to container before realizing that the pumpkin bucket had been the right place for it all along.  When it was time for bed, you insisted on bringing every piece of candy under the covers with you.  I think you were worried someone might seize the opportunity to take it if left carelessly unguarded.  You kept scooping up the pile and tucking it in under you, like a mama bird trying to keep her babies warm.  When the Hershey's bars started melting, I tried to coax them from you, but couldn't pry them from your super grip strength.  I had to wait until you fell asleep to finally move your candy back into the bucket.  When you woke up the next morning, you were immediately concerned about the whereabouts of your stash.  I explained that it was in your pumpkin bucket, safe and sound.  You seemed doubtful as you ran to the bucket.  Only the sound of wrappers crinkling in your little fingers satisfied you that I was telling the truth.  "I want more Halloween," you said, clearly disappointed when I had to tell you there won't be another one until next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment